If you are looking for a simple recipe that is yummy and fast but still impressive, then sausage palmiers are a perfect choice. They are wonderful on their own, or with scrambled eggs and some fruit on the side. They also look like a complicated breakfast dish that is actually very simple, and they can be made up the night before and just baked in the morning!
You only need four basic ingredients to make sausage palmiers: One pound of your favorite sausage, we always use Neese’s Sausage, 1-2 Cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese, 1 Roll of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, and 1-2 TBSP Mustard. You notice that I am a bit loose with the ingredient amounts. If you like mustard, add more, if not, add less. The same goes for the cheese.
The first thing I do, is mix the sausage, cheese, and mustard together in a bowl and set it to the side. Then I roll out the crescent rolls and pinch all the seams together. Spread your sausage mixture over the crescent roll dough as evenly as you can.
Once you have the mixture spread out evenly, pickup the edge of the long side of the dough, and begin to roll it into a log. When completely rolled, pinch it closed so it holds together. Take a sharp knife and slice the log into circles approximately 1/2″ thick. (If you are making these up the night before, stop before you cut them, wrap the log in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it.)
Place each one on a lined cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for around 25 minutes, or until the crescent roll has turned golden brown.
Once they are done, eat one immediately. Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone. They will go fast! If you have any leftovers, you can always reheat them for the next day. I put them in a tin foil pack, back in the oven for about 10 minutes, and they are perfect.
For another ‘make ahead’ breakfast idea, have you ever tried breakfast pie? Here is our recipe
- 1 Pound Sausage
- 1.5 Cups Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.5 TBSP Mustard
- 1 Roll Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- Mix the sausage, cheese, and mustard together in a bowl.
- Roll out the Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, and pinch seams together to create one large piece.
- Place the sausage mixture on the crescent roll dough, and completely cover entire surface of dough.
- On the long side of dough, pick up edge and begin to roll the dough and sausage into a log.
- Once in a log, pinch the long edge down the best you can.
- Using a sharp knife, slice pieces approximately 1/2 inch thick and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden brown.